|Kirsten Wild beats Marianne Vos on the line to win the first stage of Giro Rosa 2013. Photo: GiroRosa Press Office|
The first stage of Giro Rosa has been a Dutch Festival. Kirsten Wild won the bunch sprint, beating Marianne Vos in a photo finish. "I can’t explain how happy I am. I’m back in the peloton after one month break due to an injury on my shoulder. I really couldn’t ask for more", Wild said after crossing the line.
Despite only taking second place on the stage, Marianne Vos will start Stage 2 in the Pink Jersey. The World Champion said; "I missed out on the stage win with only a few centimeters. Still, it's always a blast wearing the pink jersey".
Julie Leth is wearing the White Jersey after Stage 1 and that came as a huge surprise for Danish youngster. “This is only my first month among the Elite and I didn’t expected such a good result. In fact, I didn’t even expect to keep up with the front group in the important races this year”, Leth explained after the stage.
Another girl who is fighting for the White Jersey is Ilaria Sanguineti from BePink. She is one of 50 riders with a chance of wearing white during Giro Rosa. “Being in the bunch during this race is amazing. It’s a dream come true. I will try to do something in the coming stages and why not take the White Jersey for a couple of days”, Sanguineti tells us.
Monday’s Stage 2 is 99.6 km long and takes place around Pontecagnano Faiano. It is a flat stage but will be much more nervous than Stage 1. We expect it to end with another bunch sprint but most likely in a reduced group. Ilaria Sanguineti tells: “Marianne Vos will take the start wearing the Pink Jersey and she won’t leave anything for the others”.
Stage 1 results:
1. Wild Kirsten (Nazionale Olanda) km 117,800 in 2h53'55" alla media di 40,640 km/h
2. Vos Marianne (Rabo Woman Cycling Team) s.t.
3. Tagliaferro Marta (MCipollini Giordana) s.t.
4. Janeliuaite Edita (Pasta Zara Cogeas) s.t.
5. Kozonchuk Oxana (Rusvelo) s.t.
6. Van Vleuten Annemiek (Rabo Woman Cycling Team) s.t.
7. Shelly Olds (Team Tibco To the top) s.t.
8. Hall Lauren (Nazionale Usa) s.t.
9. Kitchen Lauren (Wiggle Honda) s.t.
10. Trevisi Anna (Vaiano Fondriest) s.t.
1. Vos Marianne (Rabo Woman Cycling Team) 2h53'43"
2. Wild Kirsten (Nazionale Olanda) a 2"
3. Tagliaferro Marta (MCipollini Giordana) a 8"
4. Visser Adrie (Boels Dolmans Cycling Team) a 10"
5. Leth Julie (Hitec Products) a 10"
The 5 Jerseys:
Leader: Marianne Vos (Rabo Woman Cycling Team)
Points: Kirsten Wild (Nazionale Olanda)
KOM: Valentina Scandolara (MCipollini Giordana)
Youth: Julie Leth (Hitec Products)
Best Italian: Marta Tagliaferro (MCipollini Giordana)
By: Alberto Celani